Friday, September 4, 2009

How to Boot a Cluster Node in Noncluster Mode for x86 platform


I was conducting a UAT for a local defense organization. They are running Sun Cluster 3.2 on Solaris 10 x86 platform.





One question the engineer asked after I demostrated how to shut down all nodes in the cluster by just issuing "shutdown -g0 -y":

Now that the nodes are shutdown and the system displays "Press any key to continue", how can we bring one of the node up while we perform maintenance activity on the other?

Hmm... good question. If it's for Sparc, I have a ready answer ("$ boot -xs") since most of our implementations are for Sparc platform. Now that they are using x86, I was kind of stumbled.

For quick turnaround, I called my colleague instead. He has the answer for me instanteously!

a. In the GRUB menu, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate Solaris entry and type e to edit its commands.

b. In the boot parameters screen, use the arrow keys to select the kernel entry and type e to edit the entry.

c. Add -x to the command to specify that the system boot into noncluster mode.



He saved my day! Thank you very much!


PS: Detailed reading here.


No comments:

Post a Comment