Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sun Java Mobile Communications Installation

Alright, I gave up on Funambol. Not that the software itself is no good, it's just that the integration component I needed wasn't there - Sun Java System Calendar Server support. (We still have a Zimbra server left after a PoC. Maybe I'll try to integrate Funambol with Zimbra connector next time to test it's usability)

So I turned my attention to Sun Java Mobile Communications Installation instead. FYI, it's an OEM from Synchronica. The look-n-feel belongs to Sun, but the engine still runs like what Synchronica Mobile Gateway Enterprise Edition would.





Which one should I push to our customers?

a. Synchronica pricing and licensing model are amazingly attractive for SME

  • If you know the SME market well, it's a superbly price conscious/sensitive market. Thus, if say we sell 100 OpenMail accounts to Company A, they might only want to purchase 5-8 premium accounts (basic + mobile access) with us.  

b. Sun pricing is a mystery to me still. 
  • But I believe they are not interested in selling to low-volume customers. I'll talk to the folks to find out nevertheless.

My report card as follows:

1. Installation is a breeze (30 mins)
  • Install Sun Application Server 9.1 U2 with JDK 1.5.0
  • Configure Postgres (it's pre-installed with Solaris OS)
  • Install Mobile Communications binary
2. Admin configuration is intuitive (<>
  • This is something I like very much. You do not need a manual to complete administrative configuration. Most application software should be designed as such.
3. User handset configuration takes some time initially
  • This is where I'm stuck for a fairly long time. As I'm using Nokia E71 to test, there isn't any documentation for it. I did a fair bit of trial-n-error.
  • But once you get the right configuration, synchronization is a breeze. Really nice!

Special Note:
  1. If you install Sun Application Server 9.1 U2, do remember to use JDK 1.5.0. I use JDK 1.5.0_14. Do not use JDK 1.6.0, it does not work! (I tried)
  2. When configuring Sync in E71, key in http://ip-address/sync/. "/sync/" is required. (Even if your port is not 80. Ours is port 81. Kind of weird!)  
  3. Remote database for Contacts should be "Contacts"
  4. Remote database for Calendar should be "Calendar"
  5. There's no Tasks in E71. (Will "Notes" works? I do not know) 

Overall, I'm a happy customer. I'll fully test the software for 90 days (free trial). Not forgetting, I'll have to download Synchronica Mobile Gateway Enterprise Edition to test if there's any difference. I bet it will.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment